Below are details of trips that RUCC are running, along with an outline of what you need to bring.
Upcoming Caving Trips and Events
See our calendar below containing details of our trips and other upcoming club events:
About Our Trips
If you want to go on any of the trips, please let our secretary or president know. We may charge a deposit or ask you to make a full upfront payment to confirm your place prior to our trips, as they can be very popular.
For day trips, we usually leave Reading in a minibus at approximately 8am and return in the evening at about 9pm. The day trip fee covers all transport, equipment, and any cave entrance fees.
For weekend trips, we usually leave Reading in a minibus at approximately 6:30pm on a Friday evening and return late on a Sunday, so it’s a pretty intensive weekend, but great fun. The weekend trip fee includes accommodation, travel, equipment, breakfast and Saturday dinner.
If you want to join us or have some questions, then please come to one of our weekly pub meet-ups from 8pm any Monday night and sign up – please see our Facebook group or the calendar above for the location of our next pub night. To accompany us you need to have Club membership (£10 for students and £12 for non students) and Sports Federation insurance (prices from £15 per year).
What to Bring
For these trips please bring:
- Old warm clothes (and dark underwear, so the girls tell us)
- A Mars Bar (or equivalent)
- A sleeping bag (to sleep in). Or perhaps wear as a sarong if things get really bad.
- A towel (no comment)
- Some money (for beers of course, and to pay for the trip – if you haven’t already!)
- A torch! (vital for finding your way back from the pub – honest.)
- Old trainers/hiking boots (as the area is likely to be muddy, although you will wear wellies for the cave itself)
- Caving gear if you own any (we provide it if not), particularly wellies, oversuit, furry
- If you have them – thermals, warm hat and gloves, and washing up gloves (to keep your hands dry in the cave)
- A stupid hat! It’s important to blend in….
- Last but not least, a sense of adventure, humour and a laissez faire attitude to the concept of personal hygiene!
We hope to see you there!
Every year some of our more enthusiastic members go on caving expeditions further afield… In recent years, we’ve joined the Dachstein Caving Expedition in Austria each summer, and explored some of the deepest, most exciting, and least visited caves in the world. If you’d be interested in going on one of these expeditions or would like to know more, please get in touch with our committee, and we can provide you with all the details.
In previous years our club has travelled even further afield – travelling as far as Spain, Romania, Slovenia and China to see some truly spectacular caves! To read more about some of these expeditions, please see our old site…